The T-37 Tweet is a twin-engine, two-seat, side-by-side, primary military training jet designed by Cessna. It was developed in the 1950s, and was put into service in June 1956. Three versions existed. The T-37B succeeded the T-37A, with 10% more powerful engines and improved avionics. The T-37As were then modified into T-37Bs. Version C could carry a light armament intended for training and additional wingtips tanks, and saw its increased mass.
The T-37 has a wingspan of 33 ft 99 in. Its landing gear is retractable, and the front wheel is steered by hydraulics connected to the rudder. It is powered by two CONTINENTAL-Teledyne J69T25 engines, built under TURBOMECA license, from the Marboré II which fitted French training aircraft Fouga Magister.
The maximum thrust per engine is 4560N.
The maximum level speed is 369 KTAS.
The VNE is 415 kts or Mach 0.7 and the cruising speed just over 300 KTAS.
The Cessna T-37 was used in about twenty countries, and only Pakistan seems to still use it.
A four seater prototype derived from the T-37 was developped for civilian market, but never saw production, and a ground attack aicraft, the A-37 Dragonfly, was developped and built during Vietnam war.
This mod features
- 4 liveries
- a painting kit (tell me if you need something more)
- a small documentation
some failure systems (engine, canopy, landing lights) and visual effects (smoke and engine fire)
- Jonx Simulations : if you want to start a project, check his youtube channel
- Touching Clouds : if you want to create special effects, check his tutorials on youtube
- All those who share their long acquired experience on making aircrafts, in forums like FSDeveloper.com or Pilote-Virtuel.com (in french), there are many names but they will recognize themselves as they know what they bring to the community
- Nokeel and Mac, who tested beta version and gave me some very useful feedback
Avallillo, former T-37 pilot, for providing POH data and advice.
Screwloose, JayLSmith, former T-37 pilots.
- SomeGuyInCO who gave me solution to the inverted elevator trim on axis bug.
- Everyone who will now give me some constructive feedback
- Everyone who will now draw some new liveries
- PBR materials (most edited to fit aircraft needs) : ambientcg.com and cgbookcase.com under Creative Commons licence CC0
- VR Camera by Scorpionbc
- Perfect DOS VGA 437 Win.ttf font by Zeh Fernando. Associated "DOS437.txt" readme file is available in ManualPDF subfolder.
Version 1.1.1 :
- New whistling sound ; very audible at low revs.
- Although this is more sounding like real aircraft, some people may prefer something of lower volume. So, dive into folders : ...\vrilleaplat-cessna-t-37\SimObjects\Airplanes\vrilleaplat-cessna-t37\sound
- There, you will find two subfolders named DefaultSound and LowSound. Copy the sound.xml file in LowSound folder and paste it into sound folder, instead of the existing sound.xml file.
- These turbine sound settings in LowSound allow to lower turbine volume without tuning other sounds. However, do not expect something as quiet as a CJ4.
- Landing gear doors are now slower, though still being quick. They are quick on real aircraft.
- Altimeter needle is now scaled every 100 feet.
- Fuel gauge needle is now much slower.
- The so called "toilet bowl" in CDI instrument is now a bit bigger, and - I hope - points to the good direction
- Marker light is operational, although there are very few marker beacons.
- The engine spool-up is much slower, especially at low RPM.
- Those who land without air brake and with low RPM should change their method if they don't want to crash in case of go-around.
- The way this has been achieved (engine files modifications and additionnal aircraft behaviour coding) leads to a minor flaw : when pushing throttle from idle to partial setting, like 50%, the engines RPM climb to a higher value than expected for a short moment before coming down to the desired value.
- The plane will certainly be a little more demanding on computing ressources because this part of the code requires to be updated 50 times per second, compared to other custom systems which are updated 5 times per second.
- Scratches on the canopy are the same but attenuated.
- VR Camera fix by scorpionbc has been integrated to the addon. Thanks to him !
- Quick cockpit cameras Left/Right/Up/Rear should be now fixed
- Various minor things
Version 1.2. :
- Aircraft has been slowed down by changing some engine characteristics and increasing parasite drag. Though not exact, the speed is now rather consistent with POH data.
- Airbrake button animation has been fixed. (was inverted)
- Cutoff valves are open by default, so starter would no more stick to 20% without combustion igniting.
- Clickable lights : Canopy lock, Fuel boost pump, Take off trim, Landing gear state lights
- Added glide slope to CDI instrument (ILS frequency only).
- Sounds are now different between exterior / interior with canopy opened, and interior with canopy closed. The intention is to simulate ear protection helmet when flying the aircraft from cockpit view.
The "lowsound" version sound.xml only lowers interior sounds, the exterior sounds are the same as default. Be warned.
- Ripping off canopy leads to turbulence, disturbing pitch and yaw. There is also a speed loss.
- Left rudder setting crank can be clicked to invert rudder pedal animation
- Minor improvements.
Version 1.2.1. :
- Fixed mirrors animation (not following the canopy)
- Fixed jetwhine exterior sound interrupting
- Added passing light blinking when gear down and locked
- Fixed CDI "Toilet bowl" pointing to 0 when using TACAN navigation
- Landing gear handle opacity raised to 95%
Version 1.3. :
- Shadows are no more flickering under bright sun
- Magnetic compass animated by Asobo template, should behave the same way as standard aircrafts' compass.
- Updated DME digital display.
- Canopy system directly connected to battery, and not to battery bus.
- Hyd & oil pressure gauges plugged to AC.
- Thrust deflector retracted when engine throttle in cutoff position.
- Thrust deflector efficiency increased : I had read a 10% loss, believing it was a 10% thrust loss, but in fact it's equivalent to a 10% RPM loss. So it's rather a 30% thrust loss.
Version 1.4. :
- Improved fuel consumption vs altitude.
- Updated avionics : navigation and radio. See documentation in Manual_PDF subfolder for more details.
Oops ! Changing fuel consumption at altitude required to set up fuel flow scalar versus air density. I used standard atmosphere data.
Usually, MSFS takes the last known value when a curve has to be extended ; not with this curve.
Fuel flow drops to low values when air density is above standard one at sea level.
I've just corrected the problem, but tests revealed that the formula made to slow the engine spool also makes the engine unable to reach more than 55% RPM when temperature is cold (-20°C for example).
There will be a new update when I find a way to fix it without removing the "slow spool" algorithm.
Version 1.4.1 :
- Fixed fuel flow when air density is higher than standard.
- Fixed 55% RPM limit vs cold temperature. The faulty code was the fuel flow limiter added to the RPM limiter to avoid engine burn when pushing throttle. This problem existed since V 1.1.1 but was not discovered or not mentioned in the comments.
Version 1.5 :
- Tablet - a very special one
- New start procedure. SEE MANUAL_PDF subfolder for documentation
- Hot start & hung start engine failure - Hot start can be disabled in tablet options - CTRL+E not compatible with hot start being activated.
- Attitude indicators caging
- Flaps indicator connected to DC bus
- Cold & dark cockpit mode : default (almost ready for start) / persistent (cockpit settings in same state as the last flight end) / random (as if children had played with switches)
- Landing gear override : possibility to unlock the landing gear when on ground. Emergency procedure to use sometimes in case of forced landing
- Possibility to make an aerobatic smoke system appear. White, red, green, blue smoke available
- New livery : NASA 00064
- Elevator trim is no more inverted when commanded by an axis, thanks to SomeGuyInCO.
Unprocessed requests :
- Checklist : I think I won't do an ingame checklist. This is something complicated and time consuming, and can be replaced by a simple PDF.
This mod is exclusively distributed for free.
You don't have right to redistribute this mod.