What is "Virtual Flight Online Transmitter" ?
It is a small Windows application that transmits your position in Microsoft Flight Simulator to an online database. Anybody running Transmitter can then be plotted live in LittleNavMap, and on a map at https://virtualflight.online/who.
If you and your friends want to see each other on mapping software such as LittleNavMap to run your own air traffic control sessions for group flights, you will no doubt have discovered that Microsoft Flight Simulator only communicates AI aircraft to external mapping applications such as LittleNavMap - not users. The VirtualFlight.Online Transmitter application addresses that.
How It Works
The desktop application connects to a running copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator via the SimConnect interface, and reads your aircraft's type, latitude, longitude, altitude, and airspeed. It combines the data with your keyed callsign and name, and sends it to a server on the internet.
The server then provides access to data that has updated in the last 5 minutes in "whazzup" format - a data format commonly used with the likes of VATSIM and IVAO - and crucially LittleNavMap. The URL of the server can be used to configure LittleNavMap to show you and your friends aircraft on the map.
Running the Program
- Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator.
- Run "VirtualFlight.Online Transmitter".
- Fill out the text boxes for your callsign, aircraft type, name, group name, and server URL.
- Click Connect
After clicking connect, the application will broadcast your location within the simulator to the internet once a second.
If you would like to see everybody broadcasting their position with Virtual Flight Online Transmitter, follow these steps in LittleNavMap:
- Click on the Tools menu
- Click on Options
- Select the Online Flying section within the Options panel
- Choose the radio button for "Custom" within the Online Flying section
- Fill the URL https://virtualflight.online/read.php into the URL field (and make sure you have no spaces in the URL)
- Set the update rate to something sensible (e.g. 5 seconds)
- Make sure IVAO is chosen in the format drop-down
- Click Apply, and OK
Who is online?
You can find out who is online at any time by visiting the following URL:
Help Support Transmitter
If you are able to assist with the operating costs and continued development of Transmitter, please consider joining the patreon - for the price of a cup of coffee each month, you'll be helping the entire community.